Dogs may be our loyal friends, but sometimes they can bite. A dog bite can cause a fatal injury to the victim. In most cases, people bitten by a dog needs proper medical treatment and care. In the U.S., dogs bite an estimated 4.5 million people every year. The majority of dog bite victims are children, not adults. Men are more frequently bitten by dogs as compared to women. Any dog can bite: big or small, young or old. Most of the dog bites can be preventable.
Common Injuries Caused Due to A Dog Bite
- Eye injuries
- Head and Neck injuries
- Face injuries
- Puncture wounds
- Torn skin
- Broken bones
- Nerve and muscle damage
- Crush injuries
Common Reasons Why A Dog Bites
- The dog is protecting food, water dish or puppies.
- The dog is protecting its owner or the owner’s property.
- The child has done something to frighten the dog.
- The dog is old and grumpy.
- The dog is sick or injured.
- The child is poking it or pulling its tail or ears.
- The dog has not learned bite inhibition and bites hard accidentally when a child offers something to eat.
- The child and dog are engaging in an aggressive play.
- The child is running near the dog.
- The dog is of a herding breed.
Tips to Prevent Dog Bites
To prevent dog bites, one must consider the following things:
- Don’t approach an unfamiliar dog.
- Never leave children alone with a dog.
- Never try to play with any dog aggressively.
- Do not run away from a dog.
- Do not poke, hit or tease a sleeping dog.
- Do not tease a sick or injured dog.
- Never make direct eye contact with street dogs.
- Never disturb dogs while feeding.
- Never try to threaten a dog.
- Do not pull a dog’s tail and ears.
- Do not make loud noises.
Compensation You Should Ask For In Case of A Dog Bite
- Medical Bills
- Missed Income
- Pain and Suffering
- Punitive/Penal Damages
When you hire one of the professional attorneys or lawyers, they will provide you complete legal support.
If you or your family member has been bitten by a dog, it is important to receive the compensation you are entitled to. A professional Dog Bite Attorney or law firm will help you get the maximum possible compensation for your suffering. Don’t wait to get the legal support you deserve.